10/27/08

Jobs...

To update everyone on what is happening right now...
1) I didn't accept the job in Dr. Siegel's office (she's the President Emeritus) because it boiled down to the fact that they were only going to be able to offer me what I was already doing in the Office of Development (which is 5 hours a week, $6.50 an hour). I don't see the good in changing jobs in the same building when I have already made a lot of connections within my office right now, am getting more opportunities to do some things that student workers don't get to do most of the time, and also get another six months of work in with this office (i.e.: I'll have a year and a half of experience with them when I graduate). So, long story short, I'm staying with the Office of Development until May.
2) I am getting an internship with Dr. Scott this coming Spring. He's going to be able to pay me a little bit for helping him do various researching for his upcoming classes in Summer and Fall. In other words, he is allowing me to be his personal assistant. I will also be helping him with the syllabus, and also in creating some contacts with people who are familiar with the topics that we are covering. I am guessing that I'll be working about 5 hours a week in that job as well, but it doesn't start until January. I'll fill everyone in when I get more information with this one. :)
3) The job doing surveys with the Park Service has come open to me, and I am going to accept it for right now. I officially start on November 1st, and my big training is on November 4th. It's supposed to be 15-20 hours a week, not including driving times. I am hoping that this will work out for a while because it would be good money. They pay for my mileage from the house to wherever I would set up the survey sites, and they are paying the national rate. The pay is something like $12 an hour as well, so it's pretty good money. The downside is that they do the surveys on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and on the weekends. Also, holidays are included...
4) The final job that I'm going to talk about is the one that I didn't get. I was hoping that a church in Marietta was going to hire me as their Youth Minister. It's a smaller church, and as much of the smaller churches around everywhere, they are getting hit by the financial crunch. I was really put under conviction by God to apply for this job, and I was really hoping to get it. It wasn't necessarily the pay, even though that would have helped some, but I really wanted to be in a leadership position with a church. Also, I feel like this church's youth group is wanting something a bit more contemporary than what they are getting in the regular church service, and I already had ideas about how to do them. It's sad to me that churches have to make these descisions, but I do understand them. They told me that they might have the job reposted in January, but I have a feeling that they won't have the money to do it then either. I am going to have Tasha inquire to one of her co-workers about the youth position that they have open at their church...

Talking about leadership positions, God has been working with me a lot about being a leader. I have resisted it a LONG time, but at Oak Leaf Church, one of the big things about them is to get involved in the community. I know that they mean through their church, but I have always felt that I have a knack for leadership. I also feel like I had to go through a hard time for a while to realize this. I know that God will lead me to the place that I need to be, and that he'll take care of us until that happens. It's just weird and amazingly joyful to be fully within his will. But man, it's hard! It's frustrating when you think something is going to happen, and then it doesn't. I know that this was supposed to be an experience for me to get my resume and my ideas in order, and I know that something amazing will happen soon.

Got to get going for now...more later! :D

3 comments:

Nathan said...

Just a quick reading suggestion: Check out John Maxwell's books. He's one of the top leadership writers in the country and he's from GA. Check him out, all his stuff that I've read is good. Actually got a chance to hear him speak a few years ago in Lawrenceville. Anyway, glad to hear you're semi-employed. I'll talk to you later.

-Nathan

Pastor Keith said...

Consider if you're supposed to go help that little church's youth group, even if they can't pay you... ???

mjone182 said...

It sort of sounded like to me that they didn't even want me. That, and they still have the job posting up on their website.