8/17/10

BWV582

The above title is a reference to a numbering system that classifies composers. For example, Mozart is K in the grand scheme of things, but this particular piece that I have listed is from Bach. It is Passacaglia and Fugue in c minor, written likely around the early part of the 18th Century.

I first heard it through a cassette tape that Dad had bought at Cracker Barrel of Old Time Radio programs. This particular program was Vincent Price and Ida Lupino as the two stars in a piece called "Fugue in C Minor". They used the motif from this piece as their main music that night, and it has stuck with me.

For some odd reason, it has stuck with me as both haunting and beautiful. Tonight, I finally looked it up to find out officially what its title is and what the meaning behind it is. Of all places, I found a decent description of it on Wikipedia (yes, shudder you masses). It described that this is one of Bach's most complex pieces that he composed, and that there is likely not an original copy.

The first notes begin a motif of deep longing or suffering. It it later broken up into 7 groups of 3 similar variations on this theme. From what I read, it all pertains to Christ's suffering and death on the cross. As the theme progresses, we hear the music move from the minor to the major. This of course represents Christ's rising from the grave and being triumphant over death and sin.

I am often reminded that even though there are hard times here on Earth, we have a heavenly reward. Christ did suffer even more than what my smallest worries or problems are, and that He is in control. It is just hard to let go sometimes, especially when it comes to our problems having children. But I know that God will provide us in every way, and that I must have faith.

More later.....

1 comment:

keyofdjonz said...

this is one of my favorite pieces of music, never played it of course it being an organ piece but i turned pages for an organist in a recital one time. she played this piece, incredibly complex! look at the score sometime and pay attention to the pedal part~
you are right, god loves you and will take care of you and tasha, just hold on tight : ) love you