8/2/10

Genesis 1-3

So, this morning I decided that I was going to start reading the Bible straight through. Just sort of decided on the fly. Surprise, right?! :D

Anyway, I read through two different translations of Genesis 1-3. The first was the New International Version which I am very familiar with. It's pretty much the one that I have read when I was growing up, so nothing too new there.

The other was from the Darby Translation from the 19th Century. It is a lesser-known version that comes out of the Brethren sect in Ireland. In any case, it was interesting to me to see the difference in the translation and made the text come alive once again.

In any case, I'll be going through Genesis 4-7 tomorrow I guess. Taking it three chapters at a time for now, but I'll probably gain more later.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Two things:
1) Kayla is doing something similar, only going through it chronologically. I thought that was a cool way to do it and gain some context.
2) Check out the English Standard Version (ESV); I'm sure you know, but it's a word for word translation that you sounds like actual everyday language.
Bonus: I've been reading through the Psalms this year. I'm on Ch. 28. If you're interested, I've got a "secret blog" that I put thoughts up on.

mjone182 said...

Yes, I would be interested, very much so! It's been an interesting week, so I haven't gone as far as I'd like this week.