8/10/08

I swear I'm not going to do this every day!

I thought that this would end up being a once-in-a-while blog, but apparently, it's an everyday thing right now!

Today we went back to Oak Leaf Church. It was a lot different than last week because we are beginning to know some people. It's sort of strange to me that we sort of wrote this church off at one point, but God knew better. To be also more honest, we visited this church because we were too lazy to go to our own. God has been working with both Tasha and I in trying to find a church home since we moved to Cartersville. We visited many churches in the area and actually joined First Baptist Woodstock. It's a great church and has lots to offer, but as I stated to Tasha, I want to be in a situation where I can be used. It feels like to me that you really have to know someone who is in a ministry at FBCW or is someone who is just a complete standout where you could be able to be used in a ministry. There isn't anything inherently wrong with this, but I know that I personally don't have the time to wait for people to 'let' me into their ministry when there are people going to Hell in our backyard every day. Oak Leaf seems that they are trying to get whoever and whenever that they can. It's not an completely open process (i.e.: they don't let just anyone volunteer and they still pray over them before they do it), but they are desperately seeking those who are willing. We have already volunteered in helping clean their new building, and were thanked for coming out (which shouldn't be a major thing, but it does help!).

We also have been looking for a church in which we can find other newly married couples. As large as Woodstock is, they essentially overlook this part of their congregation (or so it seems since we could never get ahold of a group that was truly 'newly married'). This church has at least three newly-wed couples, and I'm sure that there are more. This was a large sticking point with most churches that we visited in that they really didn't have anything for us.

We're going to definitely go for the next few weeks to finish out this sermon series and also probably the next one. I also feel led to volunteer with the upcoming youth coffeehouse that they are starting in September, and I think that Tasha is warming up to the idea, too. I just know that it is wrong of me to just be a person who sits on the sidelines at church and doesn't or isn't able to do anything. Also, we are going to hopefully hook into a Journey Group (which is sort of their Sunday School) that meets during the week.

I know that God has great things for Tasha and I, and we are praying that we may have found a church home that will use us to the best of our abilities. :)

More later!!

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I really liked this entry, it's cool to see that you consider all these things, but I think you should change the name of this blog to "more later."

keyofdjonz said...

i agree with your brother : ) i like the fact that we raised you not to just be a pew sitter and be satisfied with that! love you, mom